Tuesday, December 28, 2010

French Toast Casserole


This is the french toast casserole I made for Christmas morning. I assembled it the night before and in the morning it baked while the kids opened presents. It was served with some maple syrup on top and fresh sliced strawberries on the side.

The recipe is listed below but I'll be honest, I didn't measure out the ingredients, just eyeballed them. I also started with about 3/4 of challah (due to some earlier snacking by hubby and the kids).


I was a little nervous when I pulled it out the oven because it looked a little dry to me. It tasted perfect though and this is a terrific, simple recipe for any special breakfast or weekend morning.

Ingredients:

4 Tbs butter, melted
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 loaf challah or brioche (I used challah) cut into 1″ slices
8 eggs
1 c. whole milk
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch each of nutmeg and ginger
1 c. chopped pecans

Directions:
Pour butter into bottom of 9×13 baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange bread in baking pan, ripping pieces in half as necessary to cram everything in there in a semi-even way. Mix remaining ingredients, whisking until eggs are broken up and well combined. Pour over bread. Let stand 3-12 hours (I made mine the night before.)

When ready to cook, bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Mine was done at 35, and the top was a little bit crunchy. Serve with maple syrup.


Source: Erin'sEasyEats

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful casserole and great addition to present opening time Christmas morn. ;)

    ReplyDelete